This is my first of what I hope are many posts journaling my progress from newbie to pro blogger. Launch day isn’t until November 11, 2011. If you’re reading this before that, you’re obviously a hip trendsetting type.
You’re welcome to stick around and get your yayas voyeuring on my journey!
State of Mind
In turns I am excited, nervous, overwhelmed, filled with self-doubt, and bursting with confidence. Historically, I am a big starter of projects. I love to immerse myself in new stuff and then a little while later, I kind of lose interest. I get this from my Dad – it is definitely genetic. Can I overcome my genes to stick with this blog long-term? We’ll see.
What I’ve Been Doing
Since this is my first accountability journal, this is going to be a long one. Over the past month I have:
- Done a crapload of research on how to create an influential (and profitable) blog
- Picked a topic
- Picked a URL & bought my domain
- Paid for 2 years of web hosting on iPage
- Chosen a WordPress theme: Skeptical from WooThemes
- Customized Skeptical CSS and HTML to make the theme mine
- Signed up for Mail Chimp
- Designed an email template
- Written a content strategy: what categories my posts will fall into, what the structure of each post category will look like, how often I will post etc
- Written a launch plan, including week by week goals of the content I need to create
- Written an About My Five Acres page
- Written a pre-launch post in case anyone stumbles on my blog before launch
- Chosen a launch date: November 11, 2011. Also my 40th birthday. Yikes.
All this and yet I am still feeling way behind!
No idea. A lot. I promise to keep track starting in October.
Think Traffic and the The Million Dollar Blog Project
Erica from Erica.biz, especially her free Blog Success Manifesto
Chris Garrett, especially his Killer Flagship Content
Tammy Strobel at Rowdy Kittens for inspiring me towards a small life
Adam Baker at Man vs Debt – I’m not a man, nor do I have any debt, but his story has been inspiring
Income and Expenses
Big fat $0 (unless you count the $17 I made selling stuff)
$84 2 years of hosting with iPage
$0.99 Domain registration for 1 year with 1&1
What Could I Have Done Better?
Spend less time tweaking my site design. I discovered that CSS is pretty fun – now site tweaking is the new procrastination even though I know that great content trumps great design every time.
Also, need to eat less of these damned Wasabi Almonds. So good.
Goals for This Week
Get writing. This week I want to:
- Define my topic a little better. I still can’t describe it in one sentence and “I write a kinda enviro vegan foodish agriculture blog” really won’t cut it.
- Further define the topic for my free piece of pillar content. And write the first half!
- Write two other blogs and two recipes to keep for those weeks when I just don’t have time to write
- Spend some more hours getting my education on