At the beginning of Little House on the Prairie, Pa and Ma load Mary, Laura, and baby Carrie into their covered wagon and drive out onto the prairie.
They drive until there are no more trails – and then they drive some more. Eventually, in the middle of nowhere, they find a decent-looking spot and build a house.
Compared to that, going on an extended bike trip seems pretty tame.
Still, it is a little scary.
I’ve heard that to name your fears is to conquer them. While this never worked for me and spiders, I’m hoping that by sharing my fears about our upcoming trip, they might seem a little less scary.
My Biggest Bike Touring Fears
- After 2 days I will realize I hate bike touring
- After 2 days I will realize Stephen hates bike touring
- We won’t be able to find water (I can only survive for like 16 and a half minutes without it)
- I will always be anxiously wondering when we’re going to “get there”
- I won’t be able to sleep every time we wild camp
- Spiders will crawl on me every time we wild camp
- Our bikes will break down and we won’t know how to fix them
- We’ll never be happy staying in one place again
There, I do feel a little better. Plus, I’m unlikely to be facing wolves, horse thieves, and not having a hospital or grocery store within hundreds of miles, so I can feel good about that. ♥